Re: 8-bit Linux?

Gábor Lénárt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 07:50:19AM -0700, Chris Cureau wrote:
>> For what it's worth...I still haven't given up on my dream of Unix on the 6502. :)  I've got a good bit already written that will run on a Commodore 128 and working on a ramdisk for those who have external RAM (or an emulator!)
>>
>> Blazing 2MHz speeds, no memory protection...and I'd bet it could handle multiple users with the ramdisk once all is said and done. :)
>
> Interesting, indeed :) What I wanted once, just for a wild idea (I guess it
> would be unusable slow, but just for the "feeling"): using the non-MMU Linux
> port (so not elks) eg for Amiga or similar, and write a motorola 68K CPU
> "emulator" for the C64 DTV (where 2Mb RAM should be enough for "something" -
> and yes, it's not a "C64", maybe with SuperCPU it would have been better)

Have you seen Uzi?

http://www.dougbraun.com/uzi.html
http://www.cpmclub.de/zeitung/seite5.htm
http://uzix.sourceforge.net/

It's a SysV Unix kernel for the Z80, intended to run on CP/M machines.
Okay, it's a Z80 and not a 6502, and the 6502 has certain unique issues
with multitasking or running C (non-relocatable/fixed
size/fixed-location stack, ugh), but it might be interesting to look at.

│ "Parents let children ride bicycles on the street. But parents do not
│ allow children to hear vulgar words. Therefore we can deduce that
│ cursing is more dangerous than being hit by a car." --- Scott Adams