Re: CANADA Slacko Puppy Linux - Linux 3.4.52 [ i686 arch ] kernel

Hi everybody,

I've done some more testing and found that if after closing wvdial I
reconnect with picocom and send three + ('+++') then everything is ok,
even if I reboot with slackosave. From what I've googled it seems that
wvdial leaves the DCD up when it exits. I guess wvdial needs a proper
exit strategy:-(
> Sounds like you need stronger help than I... Since Slacko works for you
> until you start using a save file, Then I doubt the problem is the modem
> itself. So  perhaps a better venue for your help would be the
> Puppy Linux {user} forum. they are a helpful bunch.

Yes, unless Marvin can help regarding the DCD, that's what I'll do.

> http://murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php
>
> Once logged in, their forum index pages do include a "view YOUR posts" link
> that could make checking for replies less painful on a dial-up connection...

No problem, I generally use DSL to access the web. I got interested in
the dial-up modem when I needed a second IP address to test a squid
server I've set-up on my desktop. Setting up a Telephone Answering
Machine would be nice too. But that's another project, and another can
of worms, I suppose.

> You said you got the cd for free, and it works if you start from scratch...
> Your using dialup so you would want to avoid large downloads. BUT depending
> on the slacko version your using it might be a good idea download a recent
> version. They are all fairly small {the latest Slacko is less than a 170 Megs}

I'm using Slacko 5.6

> http://puppylinux.com/download/index.html
>
> ftp://ftp.vcu.edu/pub/gnu+linux/puppylinux/
>
> And if that laptop doesn't have a burner, then for very few USD you could check out:
>
> https://www.osdisc.com/products/puppy

Thank you Marvin and Joe for your help,
As always it is much appreciated,

PierreD.