Re: CANADA Slacko Puppy Linux - Linux 3.4.52 [ i686 arch ] kernel

It would appear that on Mar 17, Pierre Dagenais did say:

> On 14-03-17 10:11 AM, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:
> > Please pardon my intrusion into this thread.
>
> No, actually, thank you for intruding! I'm not sure if this is a driver
> problem or a distro problem.
> >  It's been so long since I used an
> > actual modem that I've forgotten most of what I used to know.
> Same here.
> > But I do know something about Puppy linux...
> I've been with Ubuntu for a few years now, but Puppy is new to me.
> > The thing I noticed is you said reboot "WITH THE OLD CONFIGURATION"
> > Key word "old"... Do you mean your rebooting using the "old" save file with all your
> > customization's that your used to using. Or are you rebooting with the "new"
> > slacko_save that you just made???
> >
> I'm starting from scratch. I've got this CD I pick-up for free, I boot
> the laptop which doesn't even have a working system installed.
> I start Barry Kauler pupdial, which creates the wvdial.conf file for me.
> Wvdial and picocom seem to work fine. I can connect, disconnect,
> reconnect, access the web, no problem.
> Now I reboot the laptop and choose to create a slacko_save file which as
> far as I know should only contain the new wvdial.conf file. Once
> rebooted wvdial complains that the modem is busy, picocom hangs up...

Sounds like you need stronger help than I... Since Slacko works for you
until you start using a save file, Then I doubt the problem is the modem
itself. So  perhaps a better venue for your help would be the
Puppy Linux {user} forum. they are a helpful bunch.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php

Once logged in, their forum index pages do include a "view YOUR posts" link
that could make checking for replies less painful on a dial-up connection...

You said you got the cd for free, and it works if you start from scratch...
Your using dialup so you would want to avoid large downloads. BUT depending
on the slacko version your using it might be a good idea download a recent
version. They are all fairly small {the latest Slacko is less than a 170 Megs}

http://puppylinux.com/download/index.html

ftp://ftp.vcu.edu/pub/gnu+linux/puppylinux/

And if that laptop doesn't have a burner, then for very few USD you could check out:

https://www.osdisc.com/products/puppy