Re: Zoe, Australia kernel 2.6.32-33-generic

Zoe,

scanModem reports that your modem appears to be served by slmodem +
alsa.  Ubuntu has packages for it.

See here for reference
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DialupModemHowto/AlsaModem

Predictive  diagnostics for card in bus 00:1f.6:
Modem chipset  detected on
NAME="Modem: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM "
CLASS=0703
PCIDEV=8086:24c6
SUBSYS=103c:088c
IRQ=11
SOFT=8086:24c6.MC97
CodecDiagnosed=SIL27
CodecClass=SIL
IDENT=slmodemd
Driver=snd-intel8x0m

 For candidate modem in:  00:1f.6
   0703 Modem: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM
      Primary device ID:  8086:24c6
    Subsystem PCI_id  103c:088c
    Softmodem codec or chipset from diagnostics: SIL27, an LSI/AgereSystems type
                               from    Archives:

 This is a NEW softmodem case!  Please send the output ModemData.txt
 to DISCUSS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx to enrich the Archive and help others!
 If further assistance is not needed, please use email Subject:
     New Case Only
Support type needed or chipset: slmodemd

 An ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) modem driver:  snd-intel8x0m
 provides Low Level support enabling contact with the modem hardware.
 For all BUT Conexant chip soft modems (using hsfmodem software)
 complementary High Level support is through a Smartlink utility:  slmodemd

 Download from http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/
 the package SLMODEMD_gcc4.4_alsa1.0.21.tar.gz having a compiled
slmodemd. Unpack under Linux with:
  $ tar zxf SLMODEMD_gcc4.4_alsa1.0.21.tar.gz
 and read instructions therein. But briefly, the modem is setup with command:
  sudo slmodemd -c YOUR_COUNTRY --alsa modem:1
 reporting dynamic creation of ports:
/dev/ttySL0 --> /dev/pts/N   , with N some number
 Read DOCs/Smartlink.txt and Modem/DOCs/YourSystem.txt for follow
through guidance.

Writing DOCs/Intel.txt
Writing DOCs/Smartlink.txt
============ end Smartlink section =====================