Re: cannot connect to the modem

Gregory,

Your modem may be supported by hsfmodem drivers by Linuxant.  As per
scanModem output

 New HCF.HSF device 8086:27d8
=== Finished firmware and bootup diagnostics, next deducing cogent software. ===

Predictive  diagnostics for card in bus 00:1b.0:
	Modem chipset  detected on
NAME="Audio device: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition
Audio Controller "
package="both hcfpcimodem and hsfmodem"
CLASS=0403
PCIDEV=8086:27d8
SUBSYS=1043:83bc
IRQ=43
IDENT=HCF.HSF

 For candidate modem in:  00:1b.0
   0403 Audio device: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High
Definition Audio Controller
      Primary device ID:  8086:27d8
 Support type needed or chipset:	HCF.HSF

Writing DOCs/Intel.txt

For owners of a Dell PCs with Conexant HSF modems, a driver source
package with full speed enabled is available, but requires driver
compiling. Read DOCs/Conexant.txt

 8086:27d8 could be either a HSF or HCF Conexant modem, because of ambiguous
 use of the PCI ID by modem assemblers. First try the hcfpcimodem package.
 If the installation aborts, then use the hsfmodem package. Read
DOCs/Conexant.txt
 for details and Modem/DOCs/YourSystem.txt for follow through guidance.

Modem support packages from Linuxant include resources for compiling drivers.
If an installer package matching your kernel_version  is not provided,
just install a generic code package.

 From  http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/full/downloads-ubuntu-x86.php
 download hsfmodem-7.80.02.05full_k3.2.0_31_generic_pae_ubuntu_i386.deb.zip
 Under Linux unpack with:
 $ unzip hsfmodem*.zip
 Then install with:
 $ sudo dpkg -i hsfmodem*.deb
 Subsequently, the modem should be found with
 $ sudo wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf
 Edit in your personal information with:
 $ sudo gedit /etc/wvdial.conf
 and try dialing out with:
 $ sudo wvdial.
 See DOCs/Testing.txt  for details.

 The directions following below need only be pursued, if the above
procedures are not adequate.

Start at http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/downloads-license.php to find the
hsfmodem package matching your System. For several Linux distros, there are
precompiled drivers matched to specific kernels. These have within the FileName,
your KernelVersion:	3.2.0_31_generic_pae
They can be found through
http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/full/downloads.php
A more precise location may be given a few paragraphs below.
If an EXACT Match with your your KernelVersion is not found, one of the
"Generic packages with source" near the bottom of the page must be used.
Downloaded packages must be moved into the Linux partition (home folder is OK)
and unzipped with:
	unzip hsf*.zip
The installation command for a .deb suffic packages is, with root/adm
permission:
  sudo dpkg -i hsf*.deb
while for .rpm suffix it is, with:
  rpm -i hsf*.rpm
 Read DOCs/Conexant.txt

Do download the file :

http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/full/archive/hsfmodem-7.80.02.06full/hsfmodem_7.80.02.06full_i386.deb.zip

Then run

METHOD B: DEBIAN PACKAGE (*.deb)

If you have obtained the driver package in DEBIAN format:
1. install the package with "dpkg -i hsfmodem_{version}_{arch}.deb",
if apt-get or some other tool hasn't already done it for you.

2. if necessary, run "hsfconfig" to complete the installation, enter
license information, or to change your modem's configuration.

If you need to rebuild the Debian generic package from source, you can
get the TAR package, and from the top directory run: "make debdist". A
pre-compiled DEB package for the currently running kernel can be built
using "make debprecomp" instead.

as instructions in linuxant page indicate:

http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/install.php

If something fails do email Linuxant Support and let them know that
you are having trouble(s).

Regards,

Antonio