Re: Creative Modem Blaster V.92 USB (DE5671 Model) dial-up modem...

Dear Ant,

Thanks for the link. I can now see that scanModem reports that your
modem is potentially supported by the hsfmodem driver package by
Linuxant:

In the supported page by Linuxant:

http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/index.php

	USB ID 148D:1671 (Creative Modem Blaster V.92 USB DE5671-1)
USB ID 148D:1672 (Creative Modem Blaster V.92 USB DE5673-1)

Predictive  diagnostics for card in bus 004:
	Modem chipset  detected on
SLOT="Bus 004 Device 002:"
NAME=" "
bus=004
USBmodemID=148d:1671
IDENT=hsfmodem
Driver=hsfmodem

For a detailed USB cellphone usage report, see
http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/bigarch/archive-eighth/msg03240.html
 For candidate modem in:  004

      Primary device ID:  148d:1671
 Support type needed or chipset:	hsfmodem

For owners of a Dell PCs with Conexant HSF modems, a driver source
package with full speed enabled is available, but requires driver
compiling. Read DOCs/Conexant.txt

Modem support packages from Linuxant include resources for compiling drivers.
If an installer package matching your kernel_version  is not provided,
just install a generic code package.

 Start at  http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/full for
 eventually download of a hsfmodem-7.68.00.12full_k.???.zip package
 with ??? the package type (deb, rpm, tar etc)
 These packages have compiled drivers but will also compile a driver,
 if there is a mismatch between the resident kernel and provided driver.
 The generic hsfmodem-7.68.00.12full.tar.gz package only provides
compiling support

Start at http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/downloads-license.php to find the
hsfmodem package matching your System. For several Linux distros, there are
precompiled drivers matched to specific kernels. These have within the FileName,
your KernelVersion:	3.4.9
They can be found through
http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/full/downloads.php
A more precise location may be given a few paragraphs below.
If an EXACT Match with your your KernelVersion is not found, one of the
"Generic packages with source" near the bottom of the page must be used.
Downloaded packages must be moved into the Linux partition (home folder is OK)
and unzipped with:
	unzip hsf*.zip
The installation command for a .deb suffic packages is, with root/adm
permission:
   dpkg -i hsf*.deb
while for .rpm suffix it is, with:
  rpm -i hsf*.rpm
 Read DOCs/Conexant.txt

Writing DOCs/Conexant.txt

 The base of the UDEV device file system is: /dev/.udev

 Versions adequately match for the compiler installed: 4.7.1
             and the compiler used in kernel assembly: 4.7

 linux-headers-3.4.9 resources needed for compiling are not manifestly ready!

 If compiling is necessary packages must be installed, providing:
	 linux-headers-3.4.9

If a driver compilation fails, with message including some lack of
some FileName.h (stdio.h for example), then
Some additional kernel-header files need installation to /usr/include.
The minimal additional packages are libc6-dev
and any of its dependents, under Ubuntu linux-libc-dev

If an alternate ethernet connection is available,
$  apt-get update
$  apt-get -s install linux-kernel-devel
will install needed packages.
For Debian/Ubuntu related distributions, run the following command to
display the needed package list:

Otherwise packages have to be found through http://packages.ubuntu.com
Once downloaded and transferred into a Linux partition,
they can be installed alltogether with:
$ sudo dpkg -i *.deb

Visit:

http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/downloads-license.php

accept the terms of the license, then download:

http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/full/archive/hsfmodem-7.80.02.06full/hsfmodem_7.80.02.06full_i386.deb.zip

and see if it compiles and runs on Knoppix or on Ubuntu?

The instructions on Linuxant page:

 METHOD B: DEBIAN PACKAGE (*.deb)
If you have obtained the driver package in DEBIAN format:

1. install the package with "dpkg -i hsfmodem_{version}_{arch}.deb",
if apt-get or some other tool hasn't already done it for you.

2. if necessary, run "hsfconfig" to complete the installation, enter
license information, or to change your modem's configuration.

If you need to rebuild the Debian generic package from source, you can
get the TAR package, and from the top directory run: "make debdist". A
pre-compiled DEB package for the currently running kernel can be built
using "make debprecomp" instead.

http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/install.php

I hope this package works, because there could be a few gotchas as the
driver may not be compatible for newer kernels?  If you run into
trouble with the driver let us know and hopefully we can see how we
can help.

Best Regards,

Antonio