Re: ID 047e:2892 Agere Systems, Inc. (Lucent)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Olemis Lang <olemis@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2012 21:33:20 -0400
Subject: Re: ID 047e:2892 Agere Systems, Inc. (Lucent)
To: Antonio Olivares <olivares14031@xxxxxxxxx>

On 7/4/12, Antonio Olivares <olivares14031@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 9:07 AM, Olemis Lang <olemis@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi all !
>>
>> I'm reopening discussion in this thread [1]_ mainly because I want to
>> know whether it is possible to install softmodem mentioned in message
>> subject (i.e. 047e:2892 Agere Systems, Inc. ) in system with amd64
>> architecture .

[...]
>> .. [1] Re: ID 047e:2892 Agere Systems, Inc. (Lucent)
>>
>> (http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/bigarch/archive-nineth/msg00013.html)

[...]
> Dear Olemis,
>
> sadly there modem in question  [047e:2892 Agere Systems, Inc.] is
> problematic in 32 bit where it is supposed to work in theory but sadly
> few or no success reports to date (in practice) much less in 64 bit :(
>  There is sadly no 64 bit support for this modem chipset.

[...]

Thanks very much for your reply . I'd tried the driver in 32 bits PCs
with a different internal modem having Agere chipset and worked for a
long time without too much trouble . That's why I was hoping to make
this USB device work this time as well ... anyways ...

<OT>

Fortunately I managed to change it , and now I got one of these

{{{
#!sh

$ lsusb | grep Conexant
Bus 002 Device 022: ID 0572:1340 Conexant Systems (Rockwell), Inc.

}}}

It works like a charm by just installing dgcmodem so I recommend users
to try Conexant USB modems of series 132x , 1340 (<= these I've tried
personally ;) , ... i.e. all those supported by dgcmodem [1]_ package
... but ... considering my experience , beware of the fact that
Conexant modems of series 1300 , 1301, 1303 (<= these I've tried
personally) ... i.e. those driven by hsfmodem [2]_ , have been
extremely problematic in the following ways :

  - overriding hsf* audio kernel modules fail , leading
    to mute system (i.e. no sound at all)
  - I could not get a connection to work more than
    3 min before system crashes , apparently some
    kind of deadlock , or major unrecoverable exception
    due to the fact that CapsLock and similar system
    keys don't even toggle state .

... hope comments above will help others to find an easy-to-install device ...

</OT>

.. [1] DGC (softmodem) driver
       (http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/dgc/index.php)

.. [2] HSF (softmodem) driver