Success Report: agrsm driver 0x11c11040 on Acer 4736z laptop, kernel 2.6.31

Hi All:

I am writing to this mailing list to report my succes in compiling. installing and using my laptop's modem (Agere systems HDA modem) after 3 months !

I managed to have a working driver by using the package 'agrsm-11c11040-2.1.80~20091225.tar.bz2' on my Gentoo box running kernel 2.6.31 (unpatched from kernel.org)

The only issue is that if I pass an invalid Init Script, the system completely freezes and I have to restart.

It's my third time that I am struggling with WinModems under linux, the first time was about 10 years ago and with an internal Motorola fax-modem which I could not managed to make it working, second time I managed to have the modem recognized and could even dial out and connect but the download speed was so slow, in comparison with Windows overall performance,

Now as I forgot the last exprience I enthusiastically started to work on Agere driver and yesterday i had it working but unfortunately the speed is less than what i get in Windows and I have to frequently switch the Operating systems in order to use my dial-up conenction.

I investigate the matter and it seems lack of compression in PPP and possibily other OS+Driver related issues (which am not really aware of details) make the conection slower in Linux (lots of ISPs which offer dial-up connections still use Windows Servers and due to this all Linux clients are unable to use compression methods.)

Anyway I appreciate it if you guys let me know of any options to speed up my dial-up connection in Linux environment, although I guess nothing will enhance the exprience more.

Final advise to all : Leave the WinModems alone ,buy a real modem, it does not worth the headache.

Best Regards,
Ehsan Aali.