Re: Fibonacci, Colombia, 2.6.35-24-generic

First of all thank you very much for correcting $HOME/.wvdial.conf missing the leading dot before wv

I am not sure it is a good idea for me to creep into your case which is already complicated. But you say that you do not know how to edit wvdial.conf I assume that you mean that you do not know WHAT TO ADD,DELETE OR CHANGE, not how to use a text editor. Perhaps the best way to help you is to ask you to:
1-while we work together, always use only wvdial, not gnome-ppp
2-start your driver (tell us which driver: browsing back all the mails takes a lot of time) AND DO NOT STOP IT UNTIL THE END OF THE TEST. Do all the rest in a window which is not the one used to start the driver
3-delete the current file /etc/wvdial.conf
4-run sudo wvdialconf and verify that the modem has been detected (a message saying a modem like ttySsomething has been detected). 5-with any text editor edit the new file /etc/wvdial.conf with the following changes ONLY:
-remove the leading ; (semicolon) before Username Password and Phone
-remove the characters < and > in those three lines
-replace the word which was between < and > by the value given to you by your Internet provider
-Add the line
Carrier Check = no if not already there (usually absent with wvdial-1.60) or remove the leading semicolon if the line is there with a semicolon
-DO NOT ADD OR CHANGE OR DELETE ANYTHING ELSE.
6-start wvdial
7-send us the screen outputs of   wvdialconf   and   of   wvdial
8-send us the file /etc/wvdial.conf AFTER HAVING CHANGED THE TRUE PASSWORD TO XXXXXXXX IN ORDER NOT TO REVEAL IT TO ANYBODY.

This may look to you as being a regression from your current status.It is not.
In one of your mails I collected the following few lines:

-->  Sending: ATZ
ATZ
OK
-->  Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0&C1&D2 +FCLASS=0
ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0&C1&D2 +FCLASS=0
OK
-->  Modem initialized.
-->  Sending: ATM1L3DT019479472323
-->  Waiting for carrier.
ATM1L3DT019479472323

I do not believe that the following AT commands (so called Hayes commands) were generated by wvdialconf:
Q0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0 M1 L3

The drivers which you are trying to use do not support voice nor sound or FAX. Worse, commands such as &C1 &D2 control how the modem handles (including ignores) the carrier signal. I do not pretend to sufficiently know wvdial to be able to state which has priority, carrier control defined in an initialization string or in a wvdial.conf control statement. Furthermore the values given to &C1 and &D2 (and some others) are MODEM MANUFACTURER DEPENDENT. So I cannot exclude the possibility that these added initialization strings destroy what you rightly defined using a wvdial.conf statement such as Carrier Check. M1 and L3 control the way the speaker built in the modem works and the volume. Your driver is anyway not sound-capable. +FCLASS controls the FAX. I am not in the position to stte that the authors of the drivers have verified that their software is transparent to playing with the control of unsupported features.

So you see, my point is : do not add parameters to the strings until after you have made your modem work. You can play later in a controlled environment, but debugging time is not the right time for that.

I have deleted the embedded copy of the thread, anyway archived, to save bandwidth Also please do not add CC to me, one copy sent to discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx is sufficient.

Jacques