Re: Trying to get one of my modems to work

John,

Re: USB modem
The  0baf:0303 chipset USRobotics uses the cdc_acm Open Source driver
and should work fine.
Check your chipset with:
$ lsusb

Alexie will be very interested in your prior FAX successes with martian!

MarvS

On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 10:20 PM, John H <arizonamythtv@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks for the help. I've used martian in the past with this modem and
> it worked for faxing somewhere along the way in a kernel change or
> Ubuntu system update something went wrong as I've always have
> compiled. At some point, I started getting the failure to read modem
> errors in hylafax/avantfax. I bought a new system and tried compiling
> on 10.10 64 bit but I received some errors. I found the patches and
> carried on except I got a seg fault when starting martian_modem. I
> ended up compiling the kernmod and then just dl and install the
> martian_modem ubuntu package for 32 bit but I still get the same
> error.
>
> Anyhow, I hear an external US Robotics will work with linux? Can I go
> USB or do I need serial? I would guess serial. I really don't need
> anything real robust just something that works on 10.10 64 bit. I'm
> open to internal.
>
> On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 4:30 PM, Marvin Stodolsky
> <marvin.stodolsky@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> John
>>
>> ltmodem is fax competent in principle, while fax service has never
>> been achieved with its martian variant.
>> The advantage of martian is that the driver is x86_64 processor
>> competent and Open Source.
>> But its complementary martian_helper has a precompiled 32 bit
>> ltmdmobj.o , which must be compiled into the martian_helper with 32
>> bit libraries.
>>
>> If you Âreally need robust Fax service, best invest in one of the more
>> expensive Controller Chipset modems, as all the software modems are
>> basically cheap consumer devices.
>>
>> MarvS
>> scanModem maintainer
>>

>> On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 5:18 PM, Antonio Olivares
>> <olivares14031@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> John,
>>>
>>> For the first modem on the list, the driver exist but for 32 bit linux:
>>>
>>> http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hcf/full/downloads.php
>>>
>>> For the second modem, the martian-2010XXYY.tar.gz code should work:
>>>
>>> Predictive Âdiagnostics for card in bus 04:00.0:
>>> Â Â Â ÂModem chipset Âdetected on
>>> NAME="Communication controller: Agere Systems LT WinModem "
>>> CLASS=0780
>>> PCIDEV=11c1:044c
>>> SUBSYS=11c1:044c
>>> IRQ=16