Re: Diptanu India 2.6.18-8.el5

Paul,

I will be brief on that because it is well known folklore. If you are interested in details I will answer off the discussion list (i.e. privately).

As you know such analog modems communicate using real sound modulation (AM, FM, and more sophisticated, just as radio broadcasting).

To save a few dollars per computer sold, the components manufacturers have invented ways to share in the same chip the use of some modem functions with other audio features. This started with AMR then AC'97 and more recently HDA designs.

When everything is correctly done and configured in the modem and in the audio drivers, this is transparent for the user.

Jacques

Paul Diptanu wrote:

Hi Jacques,

Just to add my comments here..as I could not understand why you are concentrating on the
Audio part.I am not worried about Audio driver, but worried about my modem driver.
Below is the O/p of my modem.txt. I can see that the my connexant is in the slot 01:02.0
which is IDENT=hsfmodem   Driver=hsfmodem-drivers.

Please let me know incase of any information.In the mean time I am dowloading the
"http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/full/archive/hsfmodem-7.80.02.05full/hsfmodem-7.80.02.05full_k2.6.18_8.el5-1rh.i686.rpm.zip";

Please let me know if i am wring anywhere.Thanks again all for your kind help

For candidate card in slot 01:02.0, firmware information and bootup diagnostics are:
 PCI slot       PCI ID          SubsystemID     Name
 ----------     ---------       ---------       --------------
 01:02.0        14f1:2f30       14f1:205d       Communication controller: Conexant
Unknown device 2f30

 Modem interrupt assignment and sharing:
  0:    4179180    4151000    IO-APIC-edge  timer
 --- Bootup diagnostics for card in PCI slot 01:02.0 ----

For candidate card in slot 00:1b.0, firmware information and bootup diagnostics are:
 PCI slot       PCI ID          SubsystemID     Name
 ----------     ---------       ---------       --------------
 00:1b.0        8086:27d8       1019:2633       Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G

Predictive  diagnostics for card in bus 00:1b.0:
        Modem chipset  detected on
NAME="Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G "
package="both hcfpcimodem and hsfmodem"
CLASS=0403
PCIDEV=8086:27d8
SUBSYS=1019:2633
IRQ=193
IDENT=HCF.HSF

 For candidate modem in:  00:1b.0
   0403 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G
      Primary device ID:  8086:27d8
 Support type needed or chipset:        HCF.HSF

Predictive  diagnostics for card in bus 01:02.0:================> This is modem(MAY bE)
        Modem chipset  detected on
NAME="Communication controller: Conexant Unknown device 2f30 "
CLASS=0780
PCIDEV=14f1:2f30
SUBSYS=14f1:205d
HDA2=00:1b.0
IDENT=hsfmodem
Driver=hsfmodem-drivers

 For candidate modem in:  01:02.0
   0780 Communication controller: Conexant Unknown device 2f30
      Primary device ID:  14f1:2f30
 Support type needed or chipset:        hsfmodem