Re: Question

Antonio,

It was the Rami with a cellphone that reported success

Rami Daoud,

If your initial query to this List, your ModemData.txt  reported a
11c11040 chipset modem, but more recently a Conexant chipset modem.
I will presume your System still has the
Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP67 High Definition Audio "
CLASS=0403
PCIDEV=10de:055c
SUBSYS=103c:30ea
IRQ=21
HDA2=00:07.0
SOFT=10de:055c.HDA
ArchivedChip=0x14f12bfa
CodecClass=14f1
IDENT=hsfmodem
Driver=hsfmodem-drivers
------
Presumably you have installed the hsfmodem driver package properly.
In this case the modem should be activated during bootup, as can be
checked with:
$ lsmod  | grep hsf
which should display the drivers and
$ ls -l /dev/modem /dev/SHSF*
which should display the ports.
Please run this check.
Country selection is typically automatically done my the hsfmodem
files in the /etc/* folders

For this modem, the /etc/wvdial.conf is typically:

[Dialer Defaults]
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
Modem Type = Analog Modem
Baud = 115200
New PPPD = yes
Modem = /dev/modem
ISDN = 0
Phone = 198999
Username = 33331276
Password = 23337616
# Carrier Check  =  no

Carrier Check is # commented our as it is rarely needed for Conexant modems.
An X3 is needed in locations where phone line voltages are too low for
dial tone detection, most typically in Italy.
X3 means "start dialing without dialtone detection".  Try without X3
first.  If needed place it in the Init2 lines as:
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 X3  &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0

To compensate for noisy lines, it is sometimes necessary to choose a
lower compression protocol, though this is often negotiated
automatically.
You can try:
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 X3  &C1 &D2 +MS=34
as the most conservative test.  If that works, try the faster
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 X3  &C1 &D2 +MS=90

Presently report back to the List, not directly to me.

MarvS