Re: ThinkPad X200 modem model

Faraz,

A pci modem is not detected through the devices.  See recommendations
given by scanModem:

A candidate modem is not transparent among the PCI devices:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series
Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset
Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
00:03.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series
Chipset MEI Controller (rev 07)
00:03.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset PT
IDER Controller (rev 07)
00:03.3 Serial controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset
AMT SOL Redirection (rev 07)
00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82567LM Gigabit Network
Connection (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio
Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation ICH9M/M-E SATA AHCI
Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 03)
03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 5100 AGN
[Shiloh] Network Connection
 with USB, bridge, and RAM devices not displayed.
If a High Definition Audio card is present, if might be hosted on the Subsystem.

If your modem is an
   external USB type,
   connected by an external serial cable,
   or mounted internally on an ISA card,
then scanModem would not access it.

Try this first

Try with Root permission
 (1)  $ sudo wvdialconf  /etc/wvdial.conf
 to detect these modem types and some USB modems.
 If the detection is successful, read the DOCs/wvdial.txt .
 Edit the /etc/wvdial.conf with Root permission:
 	sudo  gedit  /etc/wvdial.conf
  will be able to dial out with Root permission:
	sudo wvdial

 Many modems for which scanModem fails have Conexant chips.
 From http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/modemident.php
 get the ListModem tool, which will report on Conexant chipset modems

Try this if step (1) did not return any results

(2)
If the above tests fail, please provide any independent information
available on your modem.
 If an alternative boot into Microsoft windows can be done, do mouse
clicks on:
   Start > Settings > Control Panel > Classical View (for Window XP) > System
> Hardware > Device Manager > Modems > Click on the + > Modem. Double click to
expand the graphic. Manufacturer information may be displayed. For example, CXT
stands for Conexant. Click the Diagnostics Tab. Record any hardware ID or vendor
and device information. From the Driver Details TAB, copy out the
VENdor and DEVice information.
Next do the Query Modem and record the ATI specifications displayed such as:
    ATI3 - Agere SoftModem Version 2.1.22
    ATI5 - 2.1.22, AMR Intel MB, AC97 ID:SIL REV:0x27
Try to identify the modem setup file, with name perhaps MODEM.INF.
If may contain chipset Vendor informaton.

scanModem also reports that you have a driver apparently installed:

The modem symbolic link is /dev/modem -> /dev/ttySHSF0

Hopefully
$ sudo wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf

finds it.  Let us know if it does or not.  If it does not find the
modem port, and you can boot into windows, please run the tests
suggested above and report back.

Regards,

Antonio