Re: wvdial and scanModem

Antonio,

On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 08:11:40PM -0600, Antonio Olivares <olivares14031@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Nikolay,
>
> Wvdial is an excellent tool, it is recommended to have, but not
> required.  Most distros come with kppp and some use Gnome PPP which is
> a frontend for wvdial.

I agree. Since recommending the wvdial is a recurring theme
on the list, and since people sometimes do not read ModemData.txt
before sending it to the list, I thought that the recommendation
can be made by the scanModem tool more explicitly.

> Also wvdial exists on other distributions like Fedora, OpenSuse,
> moreover there are distributions like Slackware which do not carry it,
> but going to Slackbuilds.org
>
> http://slackbuilds.org/repository/13.0/network/wvdial/
> but one needs wvstreams also
> http://slackbuilds.org/repository/13.0/libraries/wvstreams/
>
> and applying the scripts one can build wvdial packages for it.

Well, there are a lot of things Slackware doesn't carry :)
At this point, it is basically a toolbox for building embedded/
special purpose distributions.

> What I have some questions about is the lsb-release.
> Some distributions don't follow Linux Standard Base.  How does it make
> a difference with respect to wvdial?

I don't think it makes any difference for wvdial.
However, under Ubuntu, the lsb_release utility is available and
can be used to find the codename of the release and the
corresponding wvdial *.zip package.
BTW shouldn't 'apt-get install wvdial' just do its job?
Why is there a need for a dedicated *.zip file on
http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/ ?

--
Nick Zhuravlev
www.auriga.com