Re: wvdial and scanModem

Jacques,

I got that when running scanModem on Slackware and on Slax since I
tried testing again the agrsm code for a modem 11c1:0630.  I tried
code with 2.6.27.27 kernel and the driver apparently worked, because I
tested it with no connection available and wvdail told me that there
was no dialtone.  I will test it with newer 2.6.31.7-smp kernel from
slackware current on it.

I got not found on fedora too:

[olivares@localhost ~]$  ls -l  /etc/lsb-release.d/
ls: cannot access /etc/lsb-release.d/: No such file or directory
[olivares@localhost ~]$  ls -l  /etc/lsb-release
ls: cannot access /etc/lsb-release: No such file or directory
[olivares@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.31.12-174.2.3.fc12.i686.PAE

Regards,

Antonio

On 2/28/10, Jacques Goldberg <goldberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dear Anonio
>

> I do not understand    your line
>
> /etc/lsb-release not found
>
> but it may help you to know that on my Scientific Linux (derived from
> RedHat RHEL4) theis a directory
>
> /etc/lsb-release.d
>
> As you use Fedora this is likely the same for you.
> [localhost] /home/goldberg > ls -l  /etc/lsb-release.d/
> total 16
> -rw-r--r--  1 root root 0 Oct  7  2005 core-3.0-ia32
> -rw-r--r--  1 root root 0 Oct  7  2005 core-3.0-noarch
> -rw-r--r--  1 root root 0 Oct  7  2005 graphics-3.0-ia32
> -rw-r--r--  1 root root 0 Oct  7  2005 graphics-3.0-noarch
>
> Jacques
>

> Antonio Olivares wrote:
>
>> Nikolay,
>>
>> Wvdial is an excellent tool, it is recommended to have, but not
>> required.  Most distros come with kppp and some use Gnome PPP which is
>> a frontend for wvdial.
>>
>> Also wvdial exists on other distributions like Fedora, OpenSuse,
>> moreover there are distributions like Slackware which do not carry it,
>> but going to Slackbuilds.org
>>
>> http://slackbuilds.org/repository/13.0/network/wvdial/
>> but one needs wvstreams also
>> http://slackbuilds.org/repository/13.0/libraries/wvstreams/
>>
>> and applying the scripts one can build wvdial packages for it.  If the
>> user also uses Slax I have created some Slax modules
>>
>> http://www.slax.org/modules.php?action=detail&id=624
>>
>> http://www.slax.org/modules.php?action=detail&id=368
>>
>>  for wvdial and wvstreams .
>>

>> What I have some questions about is the lsb-release.
>> Some distributions don't follow Linux Standard Base.  How does it make
>> a difference with respect to wvdial?
>>
>> /etc/lsb-release not found
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Antonio
>>
>> On 2/27/10, Nikolay Zhuravlev <xxor@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> Marvin/All,
>>>
>>> It seem to happen pretty often that people need to be reminded
>>> here in the list about installing the wvdial package first.
>>> Maybe scanModem could be modified to instruct a user to
>>> install the wvdial and then rerun the scanModem.
>>> This important bit of info seems to get lost in ModemData.txt
>>>
>>> And then scanModem could recognize the Ubuntu system and
>>> provide some more specific info like this:
>>>
>>> <<<
>>> if [ -f /etc/issue ] && grep -q Ubuntu /etc/issue; then cat <<EOF
>>>
>>> For Ubuntu users, there are at the bottom of
>>> http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/
>>> packages with the files necessary to install wvdial, with names like:
>>> EOF
>>>
>>> if lsb_release -c | grep -q jaunty; then cat <<EOF
>>> wvdial_jaunty_amd64.zip   for x86_64, 64 bit bus systems.
>>> wvdial_jaunty_i386.zip    for 32 bit systems.