Re: Dialup modem undetected until wvdial dial-up

Dirk,

When a dialup is started, a CONNECT protocol is negotiated between you
PC and the Internet Provided.  It is only after a Login is accepted,
that the pppd protocol takes over, with concommitant creation of the
ppp0 channel.

The participants are:
the hardware of the modem;
the port /dev/ttySHF0 which is created in volatile RAM space;
software drivers which act through the port;
utilities such as pppd, which mediate data transfer once a Login is
established.

Lnux/Ubuntu has security measures tracking all COMM channels, through
I'm not expert in these isssues.

MarvS
scanModem maintainer