Re: FW:Etc/ppp/pap-secret

2010/1/23 Marvin Stodolsky <marvin.stodolsky@xxxxxxxxx>:
> For a detailed explanation
> see http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/bigarch/archive-sixth/msg04656.html

Marv, I've just looked at that email, and it's not quite the same
problem as Samridh is having. In that email, it seems you wanted a
normal user to be able to edit the file and dialout, whereas Samridh
needs to block normal users (world) from that file before he can
dialout.

In fact, I'm a little surprised the steps you describe in that email
didn't change your error to his, as you've given the file world
access. I guess pppd wants different permissions on that file
depending if you're a normal user or root (sudo).

In your case, a better (more secure) solution would have been to
modify the file's group and its group permissions. I.e., you probably
have a group named 'dialout'. Your user should be in that group (check
/etc/group; if you change it, logout and back in to effect the
change). You could then add the file to that group:
$ sudo chgrp dialout /etc/ppp/pap-secrets
And make the file group writable:
$ sudo chmod 660 /etc/ppp/pap-secrets    (or 'ug+rw' if you prefer,
but numbers are more absolute)
Now, any user in the dialout group can edit the file, and dial out as
well, without having to change permissions each time.

--
Joshua Crawford ... http://geocities.com/mortarn

http://www.rewardscentral.com.au/Join/Default.aspx?refer=mortarn
Be rewarded! Join RewardsCentral today!