Re: Dialup modem undetected until wvdial dial-up

Dirk:

At first sight, your computer cannot know which IP address it will be assigned by your ISP before you establish the connection ! This however can be worked around. But in an usual "normal" (dynamic IP) configuration, don't you have a selection box marked "enable internet connection sharing" on the "Network device setup" page of FireStarter? If I understand what it is that you try to do, this feature, when enabled, is the answer as it will automatically and instantly start the ppp0 related rules as soon as the connection with the ISP will exist.

I worked around a topologically similar situation, definitely not for the same purpose, but it applies to your case, by simply asking the ISP to setup for me a fixed IP, for a moderate additional fee. In my case but not in yours I believe, I could also have used a dynamic DNS service (http://www.dyndns.com) which I quote only because I am not sure about what exactly you are trying to do.

Jacques

Dirk Hirschberg wrote:
G'day everyone,

I discovered Ubuntu 9.04 last year, and am keen to use it a lot more,
but I have an older DELL laptop with an internal dialup modem.

I've managed to get the modem working with
hsfmodem-7.80.02.03full_Jaunty.tar.bz2  and  wvdial (...e.g. have been
on-line with Firefox and Wget working fine).  But various other
critical(?) software (e.g. ifconfig, Network Tools -> Devices tab,
Gufw, and Firestarter) only seem to recognise the ppp0 interface for
the modem DURING a dialup connection established by wvdial (i.e. NOT
before or after the connection, but just during).

So although I can get a dialup connection, Firestarter doesn't
recognise (detect) the ppp0 interface (e.g. in the network devices
list) until AFTER the connection is established, and therefore doesn't
enable it's firewall until ppp0 is detected AND I've selected it in
Firestarter's preferences, ...which means delays in getting the
firewall enabled (..an obvious security risk).  ...and I'm not sure
whether ufw is doing any better.

I ran scanModem.gz, and ModemData.txt said "The PCI slot 00:1f.6 of
the modem card may be disabled early in a bootup process, but then
enabled later".

Bootup.txt recommended adding "pci=routeirq" or "pollirq" options to
the kernel boot up line, but neither of them resolved the issue.

I've attached ModemData.txt and dmesg.txt, and am hoping that someone
knows how to decipher these files, and help me work out how to get
Ubuntu to recognise my modem during the bootup process, not just
during dial-up!

Btw, I'm a Linux newbie, and am still fairly new to it all, so I hope
I'll be able to make sense of your suggestions.

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Many thanks!

Cheers, Dirk