IRQ=22
SOFT=8086:266d.MC97
CodecDiagnosed=SIL27
CodecClass=SIL
IDENT=slmodemd
Driver=snd-intel8x0m

You may have to periodically
$ Ctrl-C
in the console in which you started slmodemd

Then load and unload the driver:
$ modprobe -r snd-intel8x0m
$ modprobe  snd-intel8x0m

and reactivate the modem with the:
$ sudo slmodemd --alsa -c USA modem:1
leave it running.

Open a 2nd console or TAB
$ sudo wvdialconf
should find the modem.  Edit in your personal info with:
$ sudo gedit  /etc/wvdial.conf
deleting the symbols  ; <  > while intering your personal info, and
adding a line:
Carrier Check = no

Save. This wvdialconf step does not have to be repeated, though you
may want to further edit /etc/wvdial.conf

Try a dialout with:
$ sudo wvdial

Note that gnome-ppp is a front end for wvdial, but uses its own
configuration file in your home folder, .wvdial.conf   where the "."
means hidden.
We recommend using wvdial manually before trusting gnome-ppp
Then once you get stable dialouts with wvdial, you can run the gnome-ppp setup.
You likely will have to maually add the "Carrier Check = no"  with
$ sudo gedit .wvdial.conf

Please query further to the List, not me directly.

MarvS

should ffi