Re: first problems with the dial-up connection [Karmic, 2.6.28-16-generic kernel with the respective slamr]

Please read the Post Install Howto at http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/
Most likely you will have to work out improvemenst by yourself

Also install the package apt-zip and read its documentation:
Homepage: http://alioth.debian.org/projects/apt-zip

MarvS