Re: first problems with the dial-up connection [Karmic, 2.6.28-16-generic kernel with the respective slamr]

Βασίλης

Because of particular problems with slamr, after any failure you must
restart the modem with:
$ sudo /etc/init.d/sl-modem-daemon restart

You must run the gnome-ppp setup utility, which writes its own hidden
configuration file
in your home folder:   .wvdial.conf
You will have to add the
Carrier Check = no