Re: Ken, USA kernel 2.6.24-26-386: Request Replacement Recommendation for a PCI SmartLink 1800 Chipset Modem

Ken,

Read the Smartlink.txt output by scanModem for details.
But briefly, the slmodemd is the very Smart utility, which can work
with one of several dumber drivers (slamr, snd-intel8x0m,
snd-via82xx-modem, snd-atiixp-modem, or snd-hda-intel) depending upon
the specific modem hardware.  The drivers provide for the contact with
the hardware, but the slmodemd has the much Smarter COMM functions
they all need.

Under 2.6 kernels, all devices are created in the RAM space hosting
the /dev/ folder,
and (increasingly)  devices are only created therein as they are
needed. If the driver is unloaded, its corresponding device is deleted
from the /dev/ folder.

MarvS