modem daughter card in laptops

hi,

http://xmodem.org/chipsets/agere/agere_LU97.html

these modules "daughter cards"  are manufactured in a compatible
fashion, at least as long
as they belong to the same system such as AC'97 / MC'97 modems.

That makes sense: mfs of the modules such as Askey can offer to laptop makers
a variety of modem brands. If one softmodem is much better than another,
say agere is better than pctel HSP, a laptop maker just plugs in the
agere modules and
sells more laptops. This opportunity also motivates the board makers
to design plugs
for exchangeable AC97 modem modules. On my laptop I could demonstrate above.

http://hardware4linux.info/module/slamr/

here you see the different AC'97 controllers, that slmodemd supports.
maybe, at some point one should drop the "sl" in slmodem.  ;-)

greetings,  F