Re: Ken, USA kernel 2.6.24-26-386: Request Replacement Recommendation for a PCI SmartLink 1800 Chipset Modem

Ken,

Functionality of slmodemd has been lost in the 2.6.28 kernels,
and this List has no one with skills to do the fix, even if the
problem is in the Open Source section of its code.

Thus you may be better off choosing one of the modem (chipsets)
remaining functional.
Read the InfoGeneral.txt output by scanModem for options.  But for a
few dollars more,
you could get either and internal modem or USB modem served entirely
by Open Source Linux code.

MarvS
scanModem maintainer