Re: Howard Mobley USA kernel 2.6.31-14-generic

Howard,

Likely we can get you on line.

Though your ModemData.txt output:
Modem: PCTel Inc HSP56 MicroModem "
CLASS=0703
PCIDEV=134d:2189
SUBSYS=134d:1002
IRQ=21
SOFT=134d:2189.MC97
NEW=134d:1002
IDENT=slmodemd
Driver=snd-intel8x0m
is NOT fully correct.

When I fake your system with:
$ ./scanModem fake 134d:2189
the output includes:
PCIDEV=134d:2189
SUBSYS=some:thing
IRQ=fake
IDENT=slamr

and indeed, the slamr driver is needed for your modem.  There is no
more "native" Pctel driver from the 134d:2189
chipset.

Please run:
$ bash -x ./scanModem  2>&1 | tee howard.txt
Then send me the howard.txt, enabling me to debug scanModem.

These results from your System:
======================
     /device/modem symbolic link:   lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 6
slmodemd created symbolic link /dev/ttySL0:  lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10

/etc/modprobe.d/sl-modem-daemon.conf:install slamr modprobe
--ignore-install ungrab-winmodem ;  modprobe --ignore-install slamr;
test -e /dev/slamr0 || (/bin/mknod -m 660 /dev/slamr0 c 242 0
2>/dev/null && chgrp dialout /dev/slamr0)
==============
 Show that the drivers installation was OK, and the the bootup
/etc/init.d/sl-modem-daemon scripts are working properly.

The install process may have already written a file /etc/wvdial.conf
If so edit in your personal infor and remove the symbols  <   >  ;   , using
$ sudo gedit /etc/wvdial.conf
There should be a line therein
Carrier Check  =  no

If /etc/wvdial.conf  is not present, you can produce it with:
$ sudo wvdialconf
and due the edit as just described

After the edit, try a dialout with:
$ sudo wvdial

Note that between successive dialouts, it is necessary to restart the
driver with:
$ sudo  /etc/init.d/sl-modem-daemon restart.

We do not have a success report under 2.6.31 kernels yet.
Rather there is a 2.6.30 success and 2.6.31 kernel failure report from
Antonio's SLackware Linux system
Thus we are interested in your case.

Don't both with gnome-ppp or orther network managers for know, as they
will obscure information better provided through wvdial.

MarvS
scanModem maintainer