Howard Mobley USA kernel 2.6.31-14-generic

Hello,

I would like some help installing a Pctel HSP56 MicroModem on Ubuntu 9.10. I followed the instructions on the Ubuntu website for "Identifying your modem," and "Connecting with a modem." I downloaded the scanModem program. But when I tried to download the gnome-network-admin package from there, it wouldn't connect to anything. So I got it from somewhere else. Its version gnome-network-admin_2.28_Oubuntu_i386.deb. I think this may be part of the problem. When I go to System-Administration-Network, and follow the numbered instructions, there's a problem when I get to #6 Choose Serial Modem from the Connection Type drop down. There's nothing there. Nothing in the box.

Also at step #12 Select the DNS tab, there IS no DNS tab. Doesn't exist.

Now on the scanModem report, it said I needed the wvdial package, so I downloaded a whole bunch of files, and got that working. (I think.) I also tried the Gnome PPP thing. I've tried all kinds of things and gotten pretty close to getting it to work, but something is missing, and it's making me very frustrated. I need some help.

Also this is a home built computer, with a 2.4 ghz Pentium 4, Intel motherboard, 512 ram, 80 gig HD which is partitioned in half with Ubuntu on one and Windows XP with the modem working, on the other half. I also have a 20 gig HD installed that I use to swap files between them with.

The Scanmodem report has changed somewhat as I've gone along, but I saved all of them I think. I've done everything it said to do as much as I can understand it. Installed the Smartlink slamr.ko driver. Then it said "slmodemd missing." So I installed that seperately. I had it recognizing the thing, but kept running into various obstacles. Anyway, I need some help here. I'm ready to give up on this and Linux in general.

Thanks,

Howard Mobley