Re: RonL, USA kernel 2.6.31-14-generic

Ronald,

scanModem reports that you have an agrsm modem with chipset 11c1:0630 modem.

Predictive  diagnostics for card in bus 04:00.0:
        Modem chipset  detected on
 NAME="Communication controller: Agere Systems Device 0630 "
 CLASS=0780
 PCIDEV=11c1:0630
 SUBSYS=11c1:0630
 IRQ=7
 IDENT=agrsm

  For candidate modem in:  04:00.0
   0780 Communication controller: Agere Systems Device 0630
      Primary device ID:  11c1:0630
  Support type needed or chipset:        agrsm

  There is no agrsm software support for x86_64 systems, through the
modem may be
  supported on Intel/i386 installations, which do more slowly servce
x86_64 processors.

 The AgereSystems/LSI agrsm code supports compiling of a agrmodem +
agrserial driver pair.
 There are a few different chipsets which use this driver pair, but
they use different code resources:
 Chipsets                        KV*     PackageNames (most current as
of November 2009)
 11c1:048c and 11c1:048f         2.6.29
agrsm048pci-2.1.60_20091022_i386.deb or
agrsm048pci-2.1.60_20091022.tar.gz
 11c1:0620                       2.6.28
agrsm06pci_2.1.80~20090825_i386.deb  or
agrsm06pci_2.1.80~20090825_i386.tar.gz
 11c11040 (on HDA audio cards)   2.6.27
dkms-agrsm_2.1.80-9mdv2009.0_i386.deb or
agrsm-2.1.80-10mdv2009.0.tar.gz
   All available at:
http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/ltmodem/11c11040/   , whereat
additionally
 automation & testing                    agrsm-tools_0.0.1_all.deb or
agrsm-tools-0.0.1-2.noarch.rpm
 General background                      agrsm_howto.txt
 for rpm variants of dkms-agrsm , see
http://linux.zsolttech.com/linmodem/agrsm/
 * KV == latest kernel release with a reported success

 All of the above packages are dkms competent.  This means that if
your Linux distros dkms package
 is previously installed, if provides for future updates matching
forthcoming kernels.

 -------------- end Agere Systems section -------------------

I have tried several drivers for this particular modem and I have
found that the following driver:

 11c1:0620                       2.6.28
agrsm06pci_2.1.80~20090825_i386.deb  or
agrsm06pci_2.1.80~20090825_i386.tar.gz

the one for 11c1:0620 which I have made to work under 2.6.27.27 Slax
kernel and I had previously tried multiple times and several others
reported success.

For your kernel and CPU it will not work since it is 64 Bit :(

CPU=x86_64,
 Linux version 2.6.31-14-generic

 There is no agrsm software support for x86_64 systems, through the
modem may be  supported on Intel/i386 installations, which do more
slowly servce x86_64 processors.

This is the bad part :(.  If you install a non 64 bit OS, then you
might have a chance with a previous 2.6.27/28 based kernel, but not
with 2.6.31 at this time :(

If you decide to reinstall but in 32 bit mode only, try to install wvdial :

The dialer utility package WVDIAL does not appear to be installed on
your System.
 For Ubuntu Jaunty users, there are at the bottom of
http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/:
     wvdial_jaunty_amd64.zip   for x86_64, 64 bit bus systems.
     wvdial_jaunty_i386.zip    for 32 bit systems.
 These are about 1 MB in size.  After downloaded and copied into your
Linux partition:
 $ unzip wv*.zip
 Within the new folder:
 $ sudo dpkg -i *.deb
 will  complete the wvdial installation
 Please read Modem/DOCs/wvdial.txt for usage information.

You can try Slax Live CD for which I built a module(Slax's package
built for Slax), for the 11c1:0620 which might work for your modem
(11c1:0630), if you wish to give that a try before reinstalling let me
know and I'll email you the module and then you may let us know if it
works or not.

Regards,

Antonio