Ubuntu

Hello everyone:

       I have a Dell 2 core  2 .02 running Ubuntu 32 9.04 on 2 Gigs of
ram . The modem is a common cxt winmodem and I have the correct driver
installed, the modem is recognized and  the Conextant low level modem
shows up as operating properly. I have had so much trouble getting to
this point I did not bother to put the key in to unlock the v92
features.

All I can think is there is a setting or a package I must have missed
because it says it is dialing and then runs out of tries. I am pretty
sure it is not because I had had it set on loud and never heard it dial.
Is there an idiot proof checklist somewhere for all the settings?

TIA