Re: Your 537EP problem you requested help

Thank you very much, Philippe, for your proposal.

Thanks to some excellent instructions from Jacques Goldberg, Gnome-PPP will now recognise my modem and I am able to send faxes using Efax-gtk.

So I am happy!

For the time being, I will continue to use the applications in the kernel 2.6.28-11 distribution as it can now do everything that I wish to do.

When I have more experience and I am feeling brave, I will try and compile a driver for 2.6.28-15. Then I will follow your instructions and use your files.

With hindsight, I should have installed your driver first as the support here is more knowledgeable than the Ubuntu forums. Happily though, my modem applications are now working.

Thanks again.

All the best
Steve

Philippe Vouters wrote:
Dear Sir or Madam,

I am the maintainer of the Intel 536EP/537 family modems. I do own a
536EP modem for my tests to assist the Linux community. The 537 family
modem driver software being closed to the 536EP driver software, I have
merged the two codes. However, my job to help you will be less
simplified if you face problems either specific to a 537 modem or
specific to the electrical quality of your phone line.

Your report to Linmodems explicitly states this information:
1.506096] Couldn't register serial port 0000:03:01.0: -28
This is typical of a software conflict between a Linux supplied driver
and the Intel driver I maintain. This conflict typically occurs with the
Intel 537 family modems. This is something I cured.

You state in your report to Linmodems you are running a Ubuntu 9.04
kernel 2.6.28-11 distribution. The most important information for me is
your kernel version.

Here are my proposals to you:

First read carefully the Intel-Readme.html at
http://vouters.dyndns.org:8080/Intel/ . Download the latest version of
the merged driver (for 536EP/537 modems) from there along with the small
efax.zip source code.

Having managed so that all the source code I modified being always
compatible with lots of kernels up to kernel 2.6.30, if you strictly
follow the Intel-Readme guide, you ought to get a working driver
entirely fitted for the Ubuntu distribution you run.

As you installed a 537 driver (.deb) not coming from me, I have strictly
no knowledge of what it contains. If your .deb works the way Intel
initially designed it whose spirit I kept, prior to the make install I
suggest in my ReadMe, you may have to make uninstall using the files you
initially downloaded.

As for your need to send faxes using your 537EP modem, may I suggest you
to use efax rather than Efax-Gtk. Any graphical tool such as Efax-GTK
tends to hide lots of important details which enables to understand what
is going wrong. What I state is true on any operating system including
Windows. Prior to using efax from efax.zip on the link I gave you you
will have to:
$ cd efax
$ make -f Makefile.orig
to rebuild the binary. As you are new to Linux, change $ efax in my
readme to $ ./efax when you are in the efax directory.

Concerning GnomePPP, this tool is also a graphical tool with the
inconvenience I mentioned for Efax-GTK. So that you get the best control
on what you do, please use wvdial the way I explained in the
Intel-Readme. Once you will correctly handle all the concepts, the
proper AT Init strings and you get correct run-time results then you may
report the same concepts used with wvdial to GnomePPP.

Anyhow if you wish me to further help you, I only can work if I get lots
of facts from a cut'n paste of a terminal screen.

Yours sincerely,