Re: Trying to get Intel 537EP modem to work in Ubuntu 9.04

Roland Hughes wrote:
ALERT:

The post in question ended with:

Revert to your -11 kernel, turn off automatic updates, wait at least a year.

The "experimental" advice being offered up as correct in a different message:

The key question is of course, do you absolutely need kernel 2.6.28-15? This is an insisting question to a novice: the file which you have installed for your modem needs to be generated for 2.6.28-15, which is not straightforward for a novice, even may seem frightening the first time you do it. Some people believe that they always need the last version, immediately. Some think that what counts is to be able to do their work (I belong to that second category, since 1961: take a look at http://cern.ch, see what frontier science is doing, most of us using kernel 2.6.9, soon moving to 2.6.18 , not 28, not 31, because we have other concerns than "having the most recent one").

Thanks for your advice. Just to let you know that I am booting up now into 2.6.28-11 by default.

I'll stay away from upgrading until I have more confidence in my knowledge of Ubuntu