Re: Trying to get Intel 537EP modem to work in Ubuntu 9.04

Oops, sorry, small mistake.

The right command to type is not

sudo dpkg -1 intel537ep-intrepid_2-Philippe.Vouters_i386.deb  |  tee sf.txt

but

sudo dpkg -1 intel537ep-intrepid_2-Philippe.Vouters_i386.deb 2>&1 | tee sf.txt

What 2>&1 does is to merge "standard error" messages (file handle 2) with "standard output" (file handle 1) before passing the text to command "tee".

Jacques

Jacques Goldberg wrote:

Lawson and Steve,

I know very little about Ubuntu and Debian systems: I use RPM systems based on RedHat, quite different from yours.

Nevertheless, I want to try to help you, no promise to succeed.

You will have to cooperate quite a bit.

All the following is to be done using kernel 2.6.28-15
First of all, could both of you run scanModem and send me the file ModemData.txt generated by scanModem? Steve, we need the complete file which often contains critical information believed to be irrelevant by beginners.
We do not need the other files coming along with ModemData.txt

Next, please give the command
ls -l /usr/src/linux > sf-kernels.txt (Lawson, please name it lb-kernels.txt to help me identify) and send me
that output sf-kernels.txt as well.

Next, Steve quotes having successfully used the following file:
http://groups.google.com/group/ubuntu-modems/web/modem-driver-downloads-for-537ep
This is a link, not a file.
However it is easy (but is it right?) to guess that both of you have taken from the the file pointed at as:

Jaunty Jackalope 9.04 Release 2 (Kernel 2.6.28-11-generic):

http://www.mediafire.com/?qfiisd4myym

which is   intel537ep-intrepid_2-Philippe.Vouters_i386.deb

Lawson, did you use EXACTLY the same file from EXACTLY the same place?

Next I have to present to you the Linux command tee asking you to forgive me if you already know it. To understand it, just type the trivial command echo Hello which writes "Hello" on your screen. Now type echo Hello | tee junk.txt and then cat junk.txt . Seeing what tee did? Added a copy of the screen output to file arbitrarily named junk.txt . Note that | is the vertical bar (usually broken in two parts) on your keyboard, normally above the backslash \ . If you repeat with anything else than Hello, for example echo How are you? | tee junk.txt , you will only see
"How are you?".
If you want to cumulate the outputs of a series of commands you type ... | tee -a junk.txt ( -a means append).

So, now we are ready for starting our job.
Please download that file intel537ep-intrepid_2-Philippe.Vouters_i386.deb if you do not already have it handy.
Now type this command:

sudo dpkg -1 intel537ep-intrepid_2-Philippe.Vouters_i386.deb | tee sf.txt (lb.txt for Lawson so I can identify).

and send me as mail attachments the file sf.txt ( or lb.txt) just created. It would be a good idea to read those files before shipping, to make sure that they show the error which worries you. You know the command less , right?, which lets you browse up/down by screens along a long file: less sf.txt , PageUp,PageDown, or space bar, or arrows to go one line at a time, and CTRL-C to quit.

Last thing, if you knew all these commands, sudo, dpkg, tee, less, let me know so that I can stop bore you.