Re: Smartlink (ATIIXP) without Alsa

Irving,

With CPU=i686,
Linux version 2.6.24-24-generic

Download from http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/
 the package SLMODEMD.gcc4.2.tar.gz having a compiled slmodemd. Unpack
under Linux with:
 	$ tar zxf SLMODEMD.gcc4.2.tar.gz
 and read instructions therein. But briefly, the modem is setup with command:
 	sudo slmodemd -c USA --alsa modem:1
 reporting dynamic creation of ports:
	/dev/ttySL0 --> /dev/pts/N   , with N some number
 Read DOCs/Smartlink.txt and Modem/DOCs/YourSystem.txt for follow
through guidance.

slamr is not appropriate for your
  0703 Modem: ATI Technologies Inc IXP AC'97 Modem
      Primary device ID:  1002:434d
    Subsystem PCI_id  1179:0001
    Softmodem codec or chipset from diagnostics:
                               from    Archives: SIL27

it uses the Driver: snd-atiixp-modem
The driver occassionally has to be reactivated by:
$ sudo modprobe -r snd-atiixp-modem
$ sudo modprobe  snd-atiixp-modem

The modem should be found by:
$ sudo wvdialconf

To the generated /etc/wvdial.conf file, add a line:
Carrier Check = no

MarvS