Re: Jan, South Africa, 2.6.27-7-generic, Agere on Jaunty

Hi

On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 02:54:45PM -0400, Marvin Stodolsky wrote:
> Presently please do a clean writeup on the pulse audio solution, and
> send to the List.
> There it will acquire a
> http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/bigarch/archive-sixth/msg?????.htm
> which scanModem will output for agrsm chipsets.

1. Getting the Agere Modem driver working:

After first installing from these instructions
http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/bigarch/archive-nineth/msg01316.html
Except that my kernel is not a downloaded deb but I have added
intrepid main restricted to the repositories; and my dkms is from
jaunty repositories. Two more debs dkms-agrsm and agrsm-tools were
the debs from the thread above.

2. Disabling pulseaudio on jaunty:

In addition, to disable pulseaudio, I had to use some methods in
http://idyllictux.wordpress.com/2009/04/21/ubuntu-904-jaunty-keeping-the-beast-pulseaudio-at-bay/

But slightly different I ran the commands:

sudo mv /etc/X11/Xsession.d/70pulseaudio /root/
sudo update-rc.d -f pulseaudio remove
asoundconf unset-pulseaudio

And In the file /etc/pulse/client.conf set the line

autospawn = no

3. various fixes

To allow a user to use gnome-ppp, a nice user friendly
app you need to add to /etc/rc.local before the exit line,
the line:

agrsm-test

I think this does some initialisation that gnome-ppp does not do.

Then also there is a pap-secrets/chap-secrets error of permissions:
 Re --> Warning: Could not modify /etc/ppp/chap-secrets: Permission denied
 --> --> CHAP (Challenge Handshake) may be flaky.
 is a known problem.  The fix is in
 http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/bigarch/archive-sixth/msg04656.html

Instead I did chgrp dialout /etc/ppp/*ap-secrets and chmod 660 /etc/ppp/*ap-secrets.
This is a single-user machine, I guess it is not most secure but should
be OK. I did not return the secrets files to root read-only.

3. Get sound back on:

To also get sound working again using Alsa, go via the menu
 System > Preferences > Sound >> all set to Alsa as in the
instructions in link in (2) above, and run the various commands in
that link. Now Alsa sound works in addition to the modem. I can
dial out while music is playing.

Thanks to this list and the assistance. Keep up the good work!

regards,
Jan
--
   .~.