Re: Chris Sparnicht, USA kernel 2.6.26-2-686

Chris,

I will not relate to what you have written before this in your last mail. We are a handful of volunteers and we have no time for blogs.

chris@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I'm curious - do _you_ think the user experience would suffer appreciably
enough on a PIII 800MHz 192MB RAM, Dell Optiplex GX110, that there would
be painful waits while web pages render if I could get this modem to work?
*Your initial post http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/bigarch/archive-nineth/msg01046.html reports an Intel 537EP modem. My former laptop, a Gateway SOLO2150, PIII 600MHz 160MB RAM, had a Lucent (Agere) "ltmodem" software modem, purchased in Fall of year 2000. Thanks to linmodems.org and specially to Marv, it has been my workhorse until replaced in 2005 because of its weight by a Dell Latitude X1 (1.2kg only, my 70th birthday family gift). What made communications slow with the Solo has always been the quality of the phone line. The modem nominal speed is 56 kilobauds, but you will find very few people if any who will report having actually worked in sustained sessions at more than 48 kb with any 56k modem (fully hardware included).

Since the Intel EP537 has never been reported worse than any other soft modem, to say the least, what is going to limit you will be the quality of the phone line, not the CPU, memory or whatever. Bad quality, or hypothetic insufficient cpu power, reflects in actual communication speed and error rate.

If your Dell Optiplex GX110 surfs too slowly for you with the Intel 537EP modem, you should consider switching to a DSL communications service, or even possibly relocate to a place where DSL is available - rather than believe that some magic serial modem will give ADSL performance.

Jacques
NB: by the way my way to say thanks to Marv et al. has been to run http://linmodems.technion.ac.il since 2001, writing wvdial.html, the automatic archive, and much more, etc, ... rather than inventing complaints about Linux: **ALL** of us, Linux, linmodems, work for free. Everyone can choose between giving some of her/his time to making things better for the community, or mere criticizing.
*