Re: Chris Sparnicht, USA kernel 2.6.26-2-686

Jacques,

Thank you again for taking time out of your day to respond.
I greatly appreciate that you've updated your website. Thank you.

Step-by-step instructional recipes with caveats, explanations, a level of
glossing, and troubleshooting tips seems to work best for me. Loose
explanations that assume I'll understand everything else about modem
dialing protocols, etc. are less useful. I can 'read the _ manual' from
here until the cows come home, but that doesn't mean I'll understand it or
what it necessarily implies. For instance, it's probably moot, but I still
have no idea what shh or chat are when it comes to the modem-speak from
the wvdial and associated man pages. They're referred to in the man pages,
but not really explained. The reader is supposed to already know what they
are. And unfortunately google doesn't have a 'find-what-I-mean' button.
The term 'chat' has many connotations that far outweigh the importance of
the unique connotation I seek, even when searching with associated terms.
Many times, it seems that man pages are circularly referential.

===== typical man page foray - am I wrong? <grinning> =====
$ man that
Name: that - mechanism that leverages synergies of your cpu's fractual
slimboid morpholytic spugerfritzen...
that --foo | --bar

blah blah blah...

-- foo - edits your foo setting
-- bar - edits your bar setting
See faq: http://mybad.-.a.cyber.squatter.took.my.site/
See also: 'this'.

$ man this
Name: this - protocol used by that - mechanism that leverages synergies...
this --boo | --far

blah blah blah...

-- boo - edits your boo setting
-- far - edits your far setting
See also 'that'.

Here's an excellent example of what I find useful, and though it's a
different venue, I learned a lot here:
http://www.reprojected.com/geoblog/how-tos/gis-on-a-shared-hosting-environment-the-magic-of-not-having-root/
If page wrapping breaks the link: http://tinyurl.com/p6ggs5

You're right, the machine is not exactly zippy, even with Jaunty or Lenny.
:) However, both distros are yards ahead when the machine freezes, so that
a newbie could just reboot and let the machine attempt to recover from its
problems. It's not been so easy with previous distros. And the machine
seems fast enough to write an office doc or surf the web on ethernet
without much effort. I'm in awe that such excellent software is available
to just download and install.

I'm curious - do _you_ think the user experience would suffer appreciably
enough on a PIII 800MHz 192MB RAM, Dell Optiplex GX110, that there would
be painful waits while web pages render if I could get this modem to work?

Chris