Re: scanModem problems

Ariel,

your system, CPU=x86_64, Linux version 2.6.27-13-generic, with

High Definition Audio card , hardware type 0403, and  PCI identifier
1002:aa20 has not been encountered before under Linux. It is not
responding to diagnostics which would reveal the largest family of
modem chips it could host, leaving the possibility of a Conexant chip.
See the appended section on Microsoft diagnostics, for running tests
thereunder.

Separately I'll send you a scanModem update, but most likely further
info may not be obtained.

After these added diagnostics, most likely will have to proceed with
the following, for Conexant chip modems.
>From http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/downloads.php  get from near the bottom
	hsfmodem-7.80.02.03x86_64full.tar.gz
Unpack with:
$ tar zxf hsf*.tar.gz
and follow the instructions in the new folder. Prefix the recommended
COMMANDs as:
$ sudo COMMAND
as root permission will  be needed.

MarvS

Using MicroSoft(MS) Windows:
-----------------------------
MS installations do generally have adequate diagostic capability. Try
the following
routine 1), beginning with mouse clicks on:
   1) Start > Settings > Control Panel > Classical View (for Window
XP) > System
> Hardware > Device Manager > Modems > Click on the + > Modem. Double click to
expand the graphic. Manufacturer information may be displayed. For example, CXT
stands for Conexant. 14F1 is the Vendor ID for Conexant.

Click the DriverDetails Tab, to reveal Ven_ID Dev_ID details too

Click the Diagnostics Tab (if present). Record any hardware ID or vendor
and device information.
Next do the Query Modem and record the ATI specifications displayed such as:
     ATI3 - Agere SoftModem Version 2.1.22
     ATI5 - 2.1.22, AMR Intel MB, AC97 ID:SIL REV:0x27
Try to identify the modem setup file, with name perhaps MODEM.INF.

   2) Open a COMM console. Send ATI commands to the modem (ATI, ATI1,
ATI2, etc)
which may elicit chipset and driver information. Here is an example:
     ATI3 - Agere SoftModem Version 2.1.22
     ATI5 - 2.1.22, AMR Intel MB, AC97 ID:SIL REV:0x27
successfully identifying an Agere SoftModem chipset, both by name and through
the softmodem SIL ID: AC97 ID:SIL REV:0x27