Re: Is slmodem still being maintained ?

أAhmed,

The issues concern the Proprietary  modem/dsplibs.o which is compiled
into the slmodemd utility. It includes the copyrighted Vnm compression
codes, and other core Smartllink intellectual property which has never
been Open Source.    It has always been compiled at Smartlink, Inc.
Even former Linux maintainer of the code,  Sasha Kharposky and then a
contractor to Smartlink, never had access to the uncompiled dsplibs
code.

The dsplibs.o in the Debian/Ubuntu packages are version 2.9.9e .The
later 2.9.11 code carrried a License which Eduard Bloch found less
appropriate for inclusion in Debian packages.  Thus this List has
served the slmodem-2.9.11 series packages from Jacques Goldberg's
Linmodems site, the
http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/ , for those less
concerned about the subtle licensing issues.

 smslmodem-2.9.11-20080417.tar.gz was a misnaming, which Jacques has
now fixed.  The most current package with recent patches applied is
slmodem-2.9.11-20090222.tar.gz

The rights to distribution of Smartlink modem technology was sold a
few years ago to Conexant Inc.,
through (as I crudely understand it) Smartlink retained their
Intellectual Property rights.  The last time Sasha commented on these
issues, he related that the current Smartlink management was not
cooperative on Open Source issues, or changing the License of the
2.9.11 release to the more favorable ones of the 2.9.9e release.

That is the extent of my knowledge.

MarvS