Re: usb modem connect/auto-disconnect problem

Reid,

As previously recommended PLEASE do not use the front end gnome-ppp,
rather use it's wvdial engine directly.  The configuration file for
wvdial   has its standard position at  /etc/wvdial.conf

In contrast gnome-ppp writes and uses a different configuration file,
I vaguely recall being  wvdial.conf, but in your personal home folder

These lines from /etc/wvdial.conf :
Phone = <number>
Modem = /dev/ttyACM0
Username = <username>
Password = <password>

Will not be functional for wvdial until edited by
$ sudo gedit  /etc/wvdial.conf
to format
Phone = xxxyyyzzzz
Modem = /dev/ttyACM0
Username = LoginName
Password =  LoginPassword

If you are using the Conexant chipset USB modem, the appropriate Phone is either
Phone = /dev/modem
or
Phone = /dev/ttySHF0

which should be setup during loading of the hsfmodem drivers.

Again, PLEASE do not use gnome-ppp while trying to work through these issuse.

MarvS