Re: Claus Ruge, Germany, kernel 2.6.27.7-9-pae

Hallo Bjorn,

on Sun, 08 Feb 2009 15:09:44 -0400 you wrote:

>I'll send the sound module shortly.

That's very kind of you, but it seems I don't need to bother you with
that anymore. I think the problem is solved! The proverb ...

"If you have problem with your computer, it's very likely that the
problem sits in front of the computer's screen."

... turned out to be true also in this case.

What I found when looking into the boot log (by calling dmesg) was
always a message like "HDA Intel 0000:00:1b.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 22
(level, low) -> IRQ 22", but later, when the modem was started, the IRQ
was always in a range of over 200 (218 f.ex.). I was a bit worried about
that and started to prevent as many modules as possible from loading
(wlan, ethernet, firewire, etc.) and also switched off apm and acpi.
But nothing really changed. Typing "cat /proc/interrupts" in shell
still showed a very isolated entry with IRQ218 and PCI-MSI-edge for HDA
Intel.

MSI! The entry for HDA Intel was the only one with PCI-MSI-edge and I
remembered the first time I installed this Linux version on my new
laptop: The sound was not working and I googled for a solution. I found
a recommendation to add certain options to /etc/modprobe.d/sound,
especially the "model" option and the "enable_msi" option. Did it, the
sound worked and I was happy. Now I played a little bit with these
options and found out that the "enable_msi" option is not needed to
keep the sound working and therefore deleted it.

And that was the solution! After rebooting the computer I looked into
the boot log again. No "HDA Intel 0000:00:1b.0: PCI..." line and the
interrupt now is "IRQ22 ...IO-APIC-fasteoi". Then I loaded the modem
drivers, started minicom and.... the modem was responding!

The next action is to reactivate power management and the rest of the
modules and to see if it still works.

Bjorn, again many thanks for your help! You made me confident that
finally we will succeed!

Best Regards,
Claus