Re: Claus Ruge, Germany, kernel 2.6.27.7-9-pae

Hello Bjorn,

on Wed, 04 Feb 2009 18:25:32 -0400 you wrote:

>The only difference between the steps I sent you and those I used on my
>machine were re-compiling the kernel modules (and the kernel, but that
>was for my touchpad driver, not the modem).
>
>I also noticed you were using alsa 1.0.19. We have no success reports
>for this version of ALSA, and I therefore suggesst you return to the
>stock 1.0.17 drivers shipped with SuSE 11.1 kernel.

Thanks for this hint. I returned to the alsa package of the
distribution. What I recognized is that /proc/asound/version says it is
an alsa 1.0.17, but the package names show the version 1.0.18.

After resetting everything to the original state I could see a little
progress: The complaints about unknown symbols, etc. are gone. The
modem drivers are loaded without any problem, but the segfaults
remain.

[....]

>From your description (and the output of dmesg) it seems that your
>kernel and modem drivers were built with different versions of gcc...

Hm, that's surprising for me. The kernel version info at start-up
contains a compiler info, which is identical to the result I get after
gcc --version. So, I was assuming that kernel, modules and modem
drivers have been made with the same compiler.

However, I did a 'make cloneconfig' and compiled kernel and modules
with the current compiler again. After installation of the new kernel I
rebooted the system. No problems so far. I compiled the modem drivers
again, but the behavior didn't change: Loading O.K., accessing the
modem results in a segfault. Tested with both types of kernel, with PAE
config and with default config. No difference.

[...]

>Should it still fail, and you are using the stock kernel, please let me
>know and I'll forward you the (working) modules I am currently using.

That would be great! From the headers of your messages here I saw that
you also sent them to my mail address directly. I never received them.
This is btw. also valid for the messages I ordered from the list
server. I only got the administrative messages so far. If you like I
can send you a mail to your address shown here with one of my other
mail addresses, which I hope will work.

Regards,
Claus