Agere USB Modem under Ubuntu Intrepid

Hi All,

I am fairly new to linux and have been working on trying to get my USB modem working (only need it for caller ID purposes).
It's a Pluscom U56K which uses the Agere chipset - so far I have tried the following;
Ran scanModem which gives me:
Name="Agere Systems, Inc. (Lucent) Systems Soft Modem"
bus=005
USBmodemID=047e:2892
IDENT=agrsm
Driver=argsm

So after reading some of the previous posts on this list I went to http://linux.zsolttech.com/linmodem/agrsm/ and got dkms-agrsm_2.1.80-5_i386.deb and got the file agrsm-tools_0.0.1_all.deb from http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/ltmodem/11c11040

Next I fired up a terminal and done;
sudo apt-get install dkms
sudo dpkg -i *.deb

Everything there completed without any visible errors, so then I used "sudo modprobe agrmodem" and "sudo modprobe agrserial" and checked dmesg with said the driver was loaded and /dev/ttyAGS3 had been created.
Next I ran the following and checked the links were created sucessfully.;
sudo ln -s /dev/ttyAGS3 /dev/ttySAGR
sudo ln -s /dev/ttyAGS3 /dev/modem

When I run "sudo wvdialconf wvtest" it says "Sorry, no modem was detected!"

I have shut down and restarted, checked the 'hardware drivers' section in ubuntu which shows the Agere Modem Controller Driver is loaded - yet my modem still doesn't work.
I have noticed the red led on my modem doesn't light up (under windows it lights up once the driver is installed)..

Anything else I can try to get it working ??

I am using Ubuntu 8.10 running Linux Kernel 2.6.27-9-generic.

Many Thanks!
Neil
Cut through the jargon: find a PC for your needs.
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/130777504/direct/01/