Dial-up Successful

Dear Jacques,
Thanks to the detailed instructions from Marvin and
yourself, I was able to connect to the internet
through the LinModem from my laptop, and checked my
yahoo mail successfully. It was a hurried trial,
because I have some other urgent commitments, and must
go out of town for a few days.
I got the wvdial working after removing the < > from
the phone number, etc., and also the semi-colon at the
beginning of the line.
I am satisfied that the system is working all right,
but there are LOTS of things I need to learn before I
can use the internet efficiently. For instance, how to
disconnect, and all the basic Linux stuff, using the
command line meaningfully (not just blindly repeating
commands) and so on. I agree with you that Windows is
meant for dumb people, and I am trying to escape from
that category. Anyway, I'll have to take some time
over it. I have got myself some books (Linux Cookbook
-- Michael Stutz, and some others).
Meanwhile, let me express my sincere gratitude to both
of you for the efforts you have taken to help me. The
rest is up to me! With warm regards, =Thomas Tharu=