Re: unable to connect with internal modem under Ubuntu

Devon,
The following is rad off my RedHat based system.
I am fed up rebooting the Ubuntu Live CD and resintalling the driver every time.

This is /etc/wvdial.conf

and this is the result of three commands while the connection is running:

[localhost] /home/goldberg > /sbin/ifconfig
lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:5656982 (5.3 MiB)  TX bytes:5656982 (5.3 MiB)

ppp0      Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
inet addr:132.68.251.79 P-t-P:132.68.254.106 Mask:255.255.255.255
          UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:3
          RX bytes:4271 (4.1 KiB)  TX bytes:1235 (1.2 KiB)

[localhost] /home/goldberg > /sbin/route -n
Kernel IP routing table
132.68.254.106  0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        0 ppp0
0.0.0.0         132.68.254.106  0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 ppp0
[localhost] /home/goldberg > cat /etc/resolv.conf
; generated by /sbin/dhclient-script
search home
nameserver 132.68.1.2
[localhost] /home/goldberg >

/sbin/ifconfig returns a block labelled  ppp0
The block contains P-t-P:132.68.254.106

/sbin/route -n returns two lines plus the title for each columnn:
Destination Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref  Use Iface
132.68.254.106  0.0.0.0     255.255.255.255 UH    0      0    0 ppp0
0.0.0.0     132.68.254.106  0.0.0.0         UG    0      0    0 ppp0
Line  1 has the P-t-P address displayed by ifconfig
Line 2 is the default (null destination) gateway saying software to send all network activity to the P-t-P address.
Your line 2 has 0.0.0.0 in place of the required P-t-P address.

So you can try this workaround which may work or not depending on Ubuntu's efforts to prove that it is more clever than me:

Connect.
Run sudo ifconfig to see your P-t-P address (not static, every dial sets it to some idle value in the tables of your ISP so you must take it at every attempt to connect)
Run   sudo route delete 0.0.0.0
Run sudo route add default gw 132.68.254.106 (where you replace MY current P-t-P address by YOURS)

Just before hitting Enter on the last command, take a few instants praying the gods of Ubuntu to leave you alone. Tell them that you know what you want and how to reach it.

Of course, it is much easier to learn the Ubuntu tool for doing the same.

And changing the distribution to forget that problem only is just like throwing away a brand new car because the ash tray is full ...

Jacques

D Brewer wrote:
Jacques,

I apologize for how long this is taking. Your and Antonio's persistence in helping me is very generous. I tried the fix you mentioned below, but obtained the same result as before -- the last line still shows 0.0.0.0 after running sudo route -n. If you think that discussing via Skype might help, please let me know in a private email message when is most convenient for you (please tell me your time zone as well).
Would it be easier just to use another distribution of Linux?  Do other distributions work better with internal modems for dialup connections?

Thanks again,

Devon