Re: unable to connect with internal modem under Ubuntu

Jacques and Antonio,

I apologize for assuming it was just a hypothesis.

I've spent quite a bit of time trying to get the Ubuntu 8.04 built in tool to work, but all of my attempts have ended in failure, until just now.  But finally, I have success!  What's required, and this is not explained anywhere, is that the little box next to "point to point" connection must be checked in the first dialog box that appears in the network tool.  There is a box next to the wired connection, and it shows a "-" symbol in the box when roaming is enabled.  These boxes look like something that the user cannot manipulate or modify by clicking on them, so I never thought to try.  The visual design of the box led me to think this, because the interior of the box had the same color as the background (orange or gray) around it, and wasn't clear/white to suggest that it could be checked.  And what's more, the box next to the "wired connection" _cannot_ be checked, so there is a further inconsistency of design!  It seems that all of this is likely to
 produce confusion in experienced users of other operating systems, because the interface is neither intuitive nor explained in a help section.

I've confirmed success with two different ISPs.

Thank both of you VERY MUCH for your help, and to the rest of the list!

Devon