Re: Agere HDA modem 11c11040

Hi,

On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 1:21 AM, Bjorn Wielens <uniacke1@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Marv, Timur,
> I'm going to be without reliable internet access over the next few weeks, so I'll try to answer what I can now:
> The segfault indicates that there's a problem with the snd-hda-intel driver version, usually a conflict with one of the patches provided by the distro you are using.
>
> Please try building this module from vanilla sources at alsa-project.org/, using alsa version 1.0.18, and report back.
> You WILL need to install all modules, built (e.g. snd-core, etc.)
> instead of just snd-hda-intel.ko.
>
> The problem with the segfaults does not appear to lie with the agrsm code.

This is a summary of what I have at the moment:

1) Vanilla kernel 2.6.27.8 (ALSA 1.0.17, in kernel), patched
snd-hda-intel. agrmodem and agrserial built from
agrsm-HDA-20080721.tar.bz2 and from agrsm-20080808-ALSA18.tar.bz2
(with kill_proc patch applied). agrmodem and agrserial load fine, but
then both minicom and wvdial segfault on the first run, and hang
indefinitely on the second. From strace I see that the last system
call performed is open on /dev/ttyAGS3..

2) Same kernel, compiled without enabling any sound modules in kernel
(just enabled sound at the top) + ALSA 1.0.18 (./configure
--with-cards=hda-intel --with-card-options=all --with-sequencer=yes,
patched hda_codec.c in alsa source tree). Sound modules load fine,
sound works ok. Compilation of agrsm modules succeeds, but with
warning about undefined symbols (hda_codec_read and write). Loading of
agrmodem module fails:

$ sudo modprobe agrmodem
FATAL: Error inserting agrmodem
(/lib/modules/2.6.27.8-thor/extra/agrmodem.ko): Unknown symbol in
module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

And dmesg:

kernel: agrmodem: module license 'Proprietary' taints kernel.
kernel: agrmodem: no symbol version for snd_cards
kernel: agrmodem: Unknown symbol snd_cards
kernel: agrmodem: no symbol version for snd_hda_codec_read
kernel: agrmodem: Unknown symbol snd_hda_codec_read
kernel: agrmodem: no symbol version for snd_hda_codec_write
kernel: agrmodem: Unknown symbol snd_hda_codec_write

Any further advices?

--
Timur Irmatov, xmpp:irmatov@xxxxxxxxx