Re: 11c11040, was Re: kernel-2.6.25 and kernel-2.6.26 issues

Hi,
well, it's not possible to just copy over the new hda-intel.ko module from alsa-1.17 while the rest of the installation on which the mentioned module depends on has the old version. I had to disable alsa completely from the kernel (just leaving CONFIG_SOUND enabled) and rebuilding and reinstalling it. Afterwards I compiled and installed the new alsa drivers with following command:
./configure --with-cards=hda-intel && make && make install-modules
Next I recompiled and reinstalled the agere modules and loaded them. As a result I wouldn't get the "No stream" error any longer but rather a full fledged kernel crash in exchange :-(. This is most likely a kernel bug, a bug in the driver or a combination of both. I assume it's a bug in the driver itself. If you ask me the only way to find the cause of the crash is to get a backtrace and send it to the developer of the driver so he can figure out what went wrong. Unfortunately, although I have experience with debugging ordinary C/C++ programs, I do not have the slightest idea about how to debug a kernel :-( (i.e. get a backtrace).

Kind regards,
Mehdi

Bjorn Wielens wrote:
Hello,
Hmm,, this is an interesting scenario - I'm wondering if the ALSA change
causing the NO STREAM error was not present in earlier versions of ALSA
before the final 1.16.

Please revert to the ALSA-17 driver that gives the 'no stream' error and
then try the following:
Get the ALSA 1.0.17 source code from http://alsa-project.org (the
alsa-driver package ONLY.)
Extract it.
Open the directory, and edit the sound/pci/hda/hda_codec.c file as
described before. (DO NOT copy over the one you previously edited.)

Issue './configure' followed by 'make'. If all goes well, you should now
have a file called modules/snd_hda_intel.ko.
Replace the one in /lib/modules that was previously built with the kernel.
Now, reboot your system and try the modem again.

Let me know what happens,
Bjorn.