11c11040 (Agere) Success, fax no

Hello fine people,

I've been checking with the mailing list via the web archives since
April. I signed up just a few days ago so I may voice my thanks for all
those involved with getting the 11c11040 (Agere) chipset running with
Linux.

Although I have a nice broadband connection, it's satisfying to know
that I have the option of connecting via dialup if needed.  And of
course the thrill of nearly 100% of this laptops hardware supported.
Especially the modem. Not many Linux users in my group of friends can
say that. :)

I'm not asking for help with faxing. I know that is not what this list
is about.  I'm merely stating faxing does not work for me.  Resulting
in hard lock ups with any attempt to connect to the modem via efax or
efax-gtk.  In defense of the hardware, this could be a error on my part
as I have limited Linux faxing experience. I haven't been able to find
confirmation on this list whether or not faxing has been successful,
only that it's not clear if the pre-compiled Red Flag Linux binary was
built with faxing support.  I did see users mentioning they will
attempt to test, but no followups. So for the archives...  I believe
faxing is not supported at this time. :)

I do have hopes that "those smarter then me", will find a way to get
faxing supported for this modem in the future as that feature will
prove very useful to me.

I would like to add that I deviated from the instruction found in
http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/ltmodem/11c11040/HOWTO-Agere-11c11040-HDA.html
As my custom kernel needed matching alsa-drivers compiled for it
anyway, I merely modified the
alsa-driver-1.0.17/alsa-kernel/pci/hda/hda_codec.c in the alsa sources
rather then the kernel sources. This saved me from having to rebuild my
kernel modules (HUGE time saver).  This may be useful for some users to
know.

I regret that I won't be useful to this list in a developer sense. It
seems my niche in Linux is in software packaging. But I am willing to
test whatever I can for you.  Just let me know :)

I'll be posting a ModemData.txt for my mother in-laws VIA
modem soon.  Although the laptop is a couple years old, the
ModemData.txt suggests there is new data you guys will find useful?

Have a great day folks, and thanks again.
Respectfully yours,
Lee Hert

VectorLinux-5.9 Standard
Gateway M-6309 Laptop
Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core Mobile Processor T2330 (1.6 GHz)
1024 MB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM