Re: AMIR GHOOCHANI iran

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008, Marvin Stodolsky wrote:

RE: bash: $: command not found
Linux puts much more power in the User's hands than is available under
the rigidity of Microsoft.  But there are few very elementary thinks
one must learn, to use the command console.   These are provided in
the first chapter of any book on Linux such as:
http://www.dsl.org/cookbook/

Looks like a path isn't set. The 'path' is where you find your commands, that is, programs and utilities. You can try entering at the command prompt:

export PATH="/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin"

Here looks like a good beginning guide for Linux:

http://tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/

You also might want to look at http://www.linuxquestions.org/ There are alot of forums there: new users, distro specific, networking, wireless, kernel, etc. They have a large user base.

Unfortunately, setting up a modem and PPP connection is one of the hardest things a new user is likely to have to do in Linux and it is often one of the first things that must be done.

Check if any modem is detected by:
# vwdialconf  /etc/wvdial.conf
I suspect there will be a failure.

Because the modem that is recognized is a
Communication controller: Conexant
with a PCI ID 14f1:2f12, an HSF type
even though it may carry a US Robotics label.

I think I saw those in a parts computer I picked up. It's a PCI modem with "US Robotics" written on the metal part you plug the phone line into.

 ID 0951:1603 Kingston Technology Data Traveler 1GB/2GB Pen Drive

If you have to move files from a computer that is Internet connected to one that is not, you can use this to load files from the connected computer then transer them to the unconnected one. I have one of these, and do that to make use of my friend's fast cable modem connection.

hsfmodem-7.68.00.12full-1.i386.rpm.zip
and i dont know how to compile using
 gcc-4.3
make
kernel-source-2.6.25.5-1.1-pae

Once you have those things installed (if I remember correctly from when I did this on my other machine), I think you just install the hsfmodem-7.68.00.12full-1.i386.rpm.zip file and it does the rest. You don't actually need to start the compiler itself, nor the make utility itself. Something like:

(set the PATH first, as above. You can check it with 'echo $PATH')

cd /place/you/put/the/file

unzip hsfmodem-7.68.00.12full-1.i386.rpm.zip

rpm --nodeps --install hsfmodem-7.68.00.12full-1.i386.rpm

i will test and adsl modem and if i could not get answer i  am gonna forget
about linux and suse11

it can recognize my old TVM itself and con not recognize the modem!

That is because what is usually called a "modem" isn't really a full, working modem at all, but a short cut to a modem with the equivilant of the brain removed. They are made *specifically* for Windows, and not intended to be used on Linux. Windows provides the missing parts. On Linux, you have to find those missing parts, if you wish to make something work that isn't meant to work under Linux.

the windows with viruses and internet is better than suse 11 without viruses
and internet!

For some it may be. It depends on what you want to do with and get out of your computer.

About 6 years ago, I was on Windows ME and I got really very fustrated and tired of blue screens, lock-ups, crashes when I used more than a couple programs at once, Microsoft rooting through my machine when it wanted to via WindowsUpdate, viruses, spyware, adware, and other people being able to control & run whatever they wanted to on my computer, since all Windows is binaries that you have no real idea what they are doing. I was sick of having my nose twisted by some EULA that said I didn't own even what I just paid for and installed on my own computer, and that they could, at any time and over the Internet, change, "update" (read: install adware), or disable it altogether. Programs that had no business networking quietly opened Internet connections to who-knows-where when they were started.

So I used Star Downloader and downloaded (what I thought) was a complete Slackware install of Linux. Window's desktop locked after about the first day, but the program kept downloading. It took over a week at dial-up speeds. Then I burned it to CD, Format C:, and hoped for the best. The install did not go well, and I had to learn 'vi' on the spot, as well as what was an 'fstab', and how to write out basic files in /etc/*. Then I found I had a Windows-only modem like we all talk about here. With no way to get it working with no files, I was forced to re-install Windows ME, download more stuff, the rest of Slackware, then Format C:, re-install Slackware again.

Setting up a PPP link was hard, and I was very much a newbie. I went to Usenet for help, and for the most part they were not nice - no where near as helpful as this group here. (Check my old Usenet posts for a real laugh). No dual boot, because I wanted to be forced to learn Linux and ditch Windows once and for all. It took about a month before I was at basic skill level. After a few years I parted ways with Slackware over a few issues and now build/upgrade/maintain my own Linux: built from sources like I want it. So, from complete know-nothing to own Linux...

Sorry to take up so much space, but the point I wanted to make is, everyone starts off at the bottom. If you want to get to a higher level, you have to climb upwards. Now I can do things that were difficult or impossible under Windows, not to mention the thousands of dollars in software that I'd have had to pay for if it was Windows. When some virus, trojan, or 'latest threat' comes along, I don't have to worry.