Re: AMIR GHOOCHANI iran

Amir,

RE: bash: $: command not found
Linux puts much more power in the User's hands than is available under
the rigidity of Microsoft.  But there are few very elementary thinks
one must learn, to use the command console.   These are provided in
the first chapter of any book on Linux such as:
http://www.dsl.org/cookbook/

"$"  is merely the " Prompt"  automatically presented on the console line.
It is what you add after it, that is the COMMAND
$ su root
is a particular COMMAND request to acquire Administrative priviledge,
and returns a request for an Administrative Password, typical the
passwood of the 'Root" User.  He then acquires the special Prompt
symbol: #  .   Then
# COMMAND
is used for administrative tasks forbidden to a simple User, including:
# vwdialconf  /etc/wvdial.conf
But you must hit the Return for something to happen

Read a liitle if you want to continue further with Linux.
Others on this List may help, but I can't take time instructing too
elementary issues.
Also, perhaps locate a local Linux club.

MarvS

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 4:49 AM, Amir Ghoochani <ghoochani@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Marvin Stodolsky wrote:
>>
>> Amir,
>>
>> Check if any modem is detected by:
>> # vwdialconf  /etc/wvdial.conf
>> I suspect there will be a failure.
>>
>> Because the modem that is recognized is a
>> Communication controller: Conexant
>> with a PCI ID 14f1:2f12, an HSF type
>> even though it may carry a US Robotics label.
>>
>> For
>> openSUSE 11.0 (i586) - Kernel  kernel 2.6.25.5-1.1-pae, there are
>> compatible code resources at:
>>
>> http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/full/downloads.php has c resources in
>> the
>> hsfmodem-7.68.00.12full-1.i386.rpm.zip
>>
>> But first you have to complete compiling resources by installing
>> packages providing:
>>  gcc-4.3
>>  make
>>  kernel-source-2.6.25.5-1.1-pae
>>
>> To get more information run
>> $ ./scanModem fake  14f1:2f12
>> and read the output Conexant.txt
>>
>> Would you also please run for me:
>> $ bash -x  ./scanModem  | tee amir.txt
>> Send me the amir.txt.
>> It will allow me to detemine why the information output on your System
>> was incomplete.
>>
>> MarvS
>> scanModem maintainer
>>

>> On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 9:32 AM, Amir Ghoochani <ghoochani@xxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> I USE SUSE 11
>>>
>>> THE MODEM DO NOT RECOGNIZE
>>>
>>> I HAVE US ROBOTICS INTERNAL 56K MODEM
>>>
>>> THANK U 4 3rth time
>>>
>>>  Only plain text email is forwarded by the  Discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx List
>>> Server,
>>>  as HTML can contain viruses. Use as the email Subject Line:
>>>          YourName, YourCountry
>>> Welcome to openSUSE 11.0 (i586) - Kernel  kernel 2.6.25.5-1.1-pae
>>>  With this Subject Line cogent experts will be alerted, and useful case
>>> names left in the Archive.
>>>  YourCountry will enable Country specific guidance. Linux experts in
>>> YourCountry
>>>  can be found through: http://www.linux.org/groups/index.html.
>>> They will know your Country's modem code, which may be essential for
>>> dialup
>>> service.
>>> Provider mail filters.
>>>  So in a day, also check the Archived responses at
>>> http://www.linmodems.org
>>> --------------------------  System information
>>> ----------------------------
>>> CPU=i686,
>>> Welcome to openSUSE 11.0 (i586) - Kernel
>>> Linux version 2.6.25.5-1.1-pae (geeko@buildhost) (gcc version 4.3.1
>>> 20080507
>>> (prerelease) [gcc-4_3-branch revision 135036] (SUSE Linux) ) #1 SMP
> [...]
>>>
>>> For candidate card in slot 00:0c.0, firmware information and bootup
>>> diagnostics are:
>>>  PCI slot       PCI ID          SubsystemID     Name
>>>  ----------     ---------       ---------       --------------
>>>  00:0c.0        14f1:2f12       16ec:2016       Communication controller:
>>> Conexant Device 2f12
>>>
>>>  Modem interrupt assignment and sharing:
>>>  15:          0          0   IO-APIC-edge      pata_sis
>>>  --- Bootup diagnostics for card in PCI slot 00:0c.0 ----
>>>
>>> For candidate card in slot 00:0f.0, firmware information and bootup
>>> diagnostics are:
>>>  PCI slot       PCI ID          SubsystemID     Name
>>>  ----------     ---------       ---------       --------------
>>>  00:0f.0        1039:7502       105b:0c6d       Audio device: Silicon
>>> Integrated Systems [SiS] Azalia Audio Controller
>>>
>>>  Modem interrupt assignment and sharing:
>>>  18:          0        570   IO-APIC-fasteoi   HDA Intel
>>>  --- Bootup diagnostics for card in PCI slot 00:0f.0 ----
>>> ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:0f.0[A] -> GSI 18 (level, low) -> IRQ 18
>>> PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:0f.0 to 64
>>>
>>> === Finished firmware and bootup diagnostics, next deducing cogent
>>> software.
>>> ===
>>>  Completed candidate modem analyses.
>>>
>>>  The base of the UDEV device file system is: /dev/.udev
>>>
>>>  The kernel was compiled with gcc version 4.3.1 and a compiler is not
>>> installed
>>>
>>>  linux-headers-2.6.25.5-1.1-pae resources needed for compiling are not
>>> manifestly ready!
>>>
>>>  If compiling is necessary packages must be installed, providing:
>>>       gcc-4.3 make kernel-source-2.6.25.5-1.1-pae
>>>

>>> If a driver compilation fails, with message including some lack of some
>>> FileName.h (stdio.h for example), then
>>> Some additional kernel-header files need installation to /usr/include.
>>> The
>>> minimal additional packages are libc6-dev
>>> and any of its dependents, under Ubuntu linux-libc-dev
>>>
>>> If an alternate ethernet connection is available,
>>> $  apt-get update
>>> $  apt-get -s install linux-kernel-devel
>>> will install needed packages.
>>> For Debian/Ubuntu related distributions, run the following command to
>>> display the needed package list:
>>>
>>> Otherwise packages have to be found through http://packages.ubuntu.com
>>> Once downloaded and transferred into a Linux partition,
>>> they can be installed alltogether with:
>>> $ sudo dpkg -i *.deb
>>>

>>> Checking pppd properties:
>>>       -rwxr-xr-x 1 root dialout 304644 2008-06-07 01:51 /usr/sbin/pppd
>>>
>>> In case of an "error 17" "serial loopback" problem, see:
>>>   http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/linmodems/archive-sixth/msg02637.html
>>>
>>> To enable dialout without Root permission do:
>>>       $ su - root  (not for Ubuntu)
>>>        chmod a+x /usr/sbin/pppd
>>> or under Ubuntu related Linuxes
>>>        chmod a+x /usr/sbin/pppd
>>>
>>> Checking settings of:   /etc/ppp/options
>>> noauth
>>> crtscts
>>> lock