Re: Eric Gilbert, Australia kernel 2.6.24-19-generic

On Fri, 8 Aug 2008, Eric wrote:

I tried this to see if etho was causing problem, still didn,t work

sudo /sbin/ifconfig eth0 down
sudo slmodemd -c AUSTRALIA --alsa hw:0,6
sudo wvdial --config wvdial.rc

Looks like this might be a line issue. Is this a dedicated/free/working line? Possibly someone else is picking it up?

ATDT0198333966
NO DIALTONE
--> No dial tone.

Unplugged?

ATDT0198333966
NO CARRIER
--> No Carrier!  Trying again.

--> The line is busy. Trying again.
--> Sending: ATDT0198333966
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATDT0198333966
BUSY
--> The line is busy. Trying again.

Something/someone else using it?

NO DIALTONE
--> No dial tone.

ATDT0198333966
NO CARRIER
--> No Carrier!  Trying again.

ATDT0198333966
NO CARRIER
--> No Carrier!  Trying again.

NO CARRIER
--> No Carrier!  Trying again.

NO CARRIER
--> No Carrier!  Trying again.

Might as well confirm the line - plug a phone into the jack and see you can dial somebody without errors. I had an old jack with rickety wires and it was acting something like the above.

--> Sending: ATQ0
ATQ0
OK
--> Re-Sending: ATZ
ATZ
OK
--> Cannot get information for serial port.
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: ATZ
ATZ
OK
--> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 X3 &C1 &D2  +MS=90
ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 X3 &C1 &D2  +MS=90
OK
--> Modem initialized.

This seems to show the modem itself is working.

Also, before you try a second dial attempt, make sure the line is hung up properly after the first attempt. I don't know the wvdial command for that, (or if there is one) but I noticed that minicom and kermit both have commands to allow this.